lördag 9 mars 2013

God moves in a mysterious way - 44 hymns from the Swedish Hymnbook in English

Copy and enjoy! Se also Amazing Grace.

336 Triune God, be Thou our stay,
Nor suffer us to perish;
All our sins O take away,
Us dying, cheer and cherish.
From the power of hell defend;
This grace to us be granted:
Upon thee to be planted,
In heartfelt faith undaunted,
Trusting thee unto the end;
With saints of every nation,
Escaping hell's temptation,
Kept by the Lord's salvation.
Amen! Amen! Answer send!
So sing we all Hallelujah!

340 God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter,
And He will make it plain.

345 Dear Christians, one and all rejoice,
With exultation springing,
And with united heart and voice
And holy rapture singing,
Proclaim the wonders God hath done,
How his right arm the victory won;
Right dearly it hath cost him.

Fast bound in Satan’s chains I lay,
Death brooded darkly o’er me;
Sin was my torment night and day,

Therein my mother bore me.
Deeper and deeper still I fell,
Life was become a living hell,
So firmly sin possessed me.

God saw, in his eternal grace,
My sorrow out of measure;
He thought upon his tenderness-
To save was his good pleasure.
He turned to me a Father’s heart-
Not small the cost-to heal my smart
He have his best and dearest.

He spake to His beloved Son:
’Tis time to take compassion;
Then go, bright Jewel of My crown,
And bring to man salvation;
From sin and sorrow set him free,
Slay bitter death for him, that he
May live with Thee forever.                                



The Son delighted to obey,
And born of virgin mother,
Awhile on this low earth did stay
That He might be my Brother.
His mighty power He hidden bore,
A servant’s form like mine He wore,
To bind the devil captive.   
 

                         
To me He spake: cling fast to Me,
Thou’lt win a triumph worthy;
I wholly give myself for thee;
I strive and wrestle for thee;
For I am thine, thou Mine also;
And where I am thou art. The foe
Shall never more divide us.                            
.                            

For he shall shed My precious blood,
Me of My life bereaving;
All this I suffer for thy good;
Be steadfast and believing.
My life from death the day shall win,
My righteousness shall bear thy sin,
So art thou blest forever.                                   

Now to my Father I depart,
From earth to heaven ascending;
Thence heavenly wisdom to impart,
The Holy Spirit sending.
He shall in trouble comfort thee,
Teach thee to know and follow me,
And to the truth conduct thee. 





354 Jesus, priceless Treasure,
Source of purest pleasure,
Truest Friend to me.
Ah, how long in anguish
Shall my spirit languish,
Yearning, Lord, for Thee?
Thou art mine, O Lamb divine!
I will suffer naught to hide Thee,
Naught I ask beside Thee.

In Thine arms I rest me;
Foes who would molest me
Cannot reach me here.
Though the earth be shaking,
Every heart be quaking,
Jesus calms my fear.
Lightnings flash and thunders crash;
Yet, though sin and hell assail me,
Jesus will not fail me.

Satan, I defy thee;
Death, I now decry thee;
Fear, I bid thee cease.
World, thou shalt not harm me
Nor thy threats alarm me
While I sing of peace.
God’s great power guards every hour;
Earth and all its depths adore Him,
Silent bow before Him.

Hence, all thought of sadness!
For the Lord of gladness,
Jesus, enters in.
Those who love the Father,
Though the storms may gather,
Still have peace within;
Yea, whatever we here must bear,
Still in Thee lies purest pleasure,
Jesus, priceless Treasure!



368 Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.


373 Lord, keep us steadfast in Thy Word;
Curb those who fain by craft and sword
Would wrest the kingdom from Thy Son
And set at naught all He hath done.

Lord Jesus Christ, Thy pow’r make known,
For Thou art Lord of lords alone;
Defend Thy Christendom that we
May evermore sing praise to Thee.

O Comforter of priceless worth,
Send peace and unity on earth.
Support us in our final strife
And lead us out of death to life.



387 Jesus Christ, our Blessed Savior, 
Turned away God's wrath forever;              
Suff'ring pains no tongue can tell,                 
He saved us from the pains of hell.

2. To remind us that, to save us                            

He has died, His flesh He gave us               
With this bread, a quick'ning food,             
And with this wine, His precious blood.

3. You shall hold with faith unshaken,               

That this food is to be taken                            
By the sick who are distressed,                                                         
By those whose heart is sinoppressed.

4. Christ says: "Come you heavy-laden,             
I your weary hearts will gladden;                     
They that are yet strong and well,            
Despise the best physician's skill.”

5. If you this believe now truly,                             

And confession make so duly,                               
You a welcome guest are here,                         
This heavenly food your soul shall cheer.

6. But the fruits must not be missing,                

Love your  neighbour without ceasing,                  
That true love let him receive,                       
Which here to you your God does give.

7. Praise the Father, God in heaven,                 

Who such dainty food has given,                  
Who for misdeeds we have done                    
Has given us His only Son.

400 O Lord, we praise Thee, bless Thee, and adore Thee,                                                
In thanksgiving bow before Thee,                
Thou with Thy body and Thy blood didst nourish                                                               
Our weak souls that they may flourish:                  
O Lord, have mercy!                                   
May Thy body, Lord, born of Mary,                    
That our sins and sorrows did carry,                    
And Thy blood for us plead                                    
In all trial, fear, and need:                                
O Lord, have mercy!

2. Thy holy body into death was given,                 

Life to win for us in heaven.                               
No greater love than this to Thee could bind us;                                                                 
May this feast thereof remind us!                      
O Lord, have mercy!                                      
Lord, Thy kindness did so constrain Thee     
That Thy blood should bless and sustain me. 
All our debt Thou hast paid;                             
Peace with God once more is made:                  
O Lord, have mercy.

3. May God bestow on us His grace and favor 

To please Him with our behavior                         
And live as brethren here in love and union 
Nor repent this blest Communion!   
O Lord, have mercy!                                           
Let not Thy good Spirit forsake us;                 
Grant that heav'nlyminded He make us;          
Give Thy Church, Lord, to see                         
Days of peace and unity:                                    
O Lord, have mercy!                      



422 Creator of the starry skies!                   
Eternal Light of all who live!                        
Jesus, Redeemer of mankind!                        
An ear to Thy poor suppliants give.
               
Thou, for the sake of guilty men,                       
Causing Thine own pure blood to flow,            
Didst issue from Thy virgin shrine             
And to the cross a Victim go.  
                     
So great the glory of Thy might,                       
If we but chance Thy name to sound                       
At once all heaven and hell unite                              
In bending low with awe profound.

Great Judge of all! in that last day                    
When friends shall fail and foes combine,          
Be present then with us, we pray,                        
To guard us with Thine arm divine.  
            
Power, honor, praise, and glory,                     
to God the Father and the Son,                           
and also to the holy Paraclete,                          
while eternal ages run.
Amen.




423 O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel 
shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.


428 In the bleak mid-winter
frosty wind made moan,
earth stood hard as iron,
water like a stone;
snow had fallen, snow on snow,
snow on snow,
in the bleak mid-winter
long ago.
Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him
nor earth sustain;
heaven and earth shall flee away
when He comes to reign:
in the bleak mid-winter
a stable-place sufficed
the Lord God Almighty,
Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim
worship night and day,
a breastful of milk
and a mangerful of hay;
enough for Him, whom angels
fall down before,
the ox and ass and camel
which adore.

What can I give Him,
poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
if I were a wise man
I would do my part,
yet what I can I give Him,
give my heart.



429 Shepherds in the field abiding,               
tell us, when the seraph bright                            
greeted you with wondrous tiding                  
what you saw and heard that night.                   
//: Gloria in excelsis Deo ://

We beheld it (it is no fable),                                
God incarnate, King of bliss,                           
swathed and cradled in a stable,                       
and the angel strain was this: 
Gloria…

Choristers on high were singing,                   
Jesus and his Virgin birth                                  
heavenly bells the while a-ringing                     
"Peace, good will to men on earth." 
Gloria…

431 O Jesu Christ, all praise to Thee,
Who art pleased a Man to be;
The virgin’s womb Thou dost not scorn,
And angels shout to see Thee born.
Hallelujah!

The eternal Father’s only Son
Takes a manger for His throne;
The everlasting fount of good,
Assumes our mortal flesh and blood.
Hallelujah!

The first of all in earth or skies
Now in Mary’s bosom lies;
To be a little child He deigns,
Who all things by Himself sustains.
Hallelujah!

The eternal Light to us descends,
And to earth its brightness lends;
Purely it shines upon our night,
To make us children of the light.
Hallelujah!

The only Son, true God confessed,
Comes to His own world a guest;
And through this vale of tears our Guide,
Doth in His Heaven our home provide.
Hallelujah!

In poorest guise to us He came,
Taking all our sin and shame,
That, as His heirs in Heaven above,
We may with angels share His love.
Hallelujah!

His love to show, surpassing thought!
He this wondrous work hath wrought;
Then let us all unite to raise
Our song of glad unceasing praise.
Hallelujah!


433  Good Christian men, rejoice                 
with heart and soul, and voice;
Give ye heed to what we say:                       
Jesus Christ is born today;
Ox and ass before Him bow;                          
and He is in the manger now.
//: Christ is born today! ://

Good Christian men, rejoice,                               
with heart and soul and voice;
Now ye hear of endless bliss:                     
Jesus Christ was born for this!
He has opened the heavenly door,                          
and man is blest forevermore.
//: Christ was born for this! ://

Good Christian men, rejoice,                             
with heart and soul and voice;
Now ye need not fear the grave:                           
Jesus Christ was born to save!
Calls you one and calls you all,                                
to gain His everlasting hall.
//: Christ was born to save! ://

Good Christian men, rejoice                            
with heart and soul, and voice;
Give ye heed to what we say:                            
Jesus Christ is born today;
Ox and ass before Him bow;                              
and He is in the manger now.
//: Christ is born today! ://


439 Stanzas 1-3,5,7,8                                  
A Lamb goes uncomplaining forth,
The guilt of all men bearing;
And laden with the sins of earth,
None else the burden sharing!
Goes patient on, grow weak and faint,
To slaughter led without complaint,
That spotless life to offer;
Bears shame and stripes, and wounds and death,
Anguish and mockery, and saith,
“Willing all this I suffer.”


This Lamb is Christ, the soul’s great Friend,
The Lamb of God, our Savior;
Him God the Father chose to send
To gain for us His favor.
“Go forth, My Son,” the Father saith,
“And free men from the fear of death,
From guilt and condemnation.
The wrath and stripes are hard to bear,
But by Thy Passion men shall share
The fruit of Thy salvation.”

“Yea, Father, yea, most willingly
I’ll bear what Thou commandest;
My will conforms to Thy decree,
I do what Thou demandest.”
O wondrous Love, what hast Thou done!
The Father offers up His Son!
The Son, content, descendeth!
O Love, how strong Thou art to save!
Thou beddest Him within the grave
Whose word the mountains rendeth.

From morn till eve my theme shall be
Thy mercy’s wondrous measure;
To sacrifice myself for Thee
Shall be my aim and pleasure.
My stream of life shall ever be
A current flowing ceaselessly,
Thy constant praise outpouring.
I’ll treasure in my memory,
O Lord, all Thou hast done for me,
Thy gracious love adoring.

Of death I am no more afraid,
New life from Thee is flowing;
Thy cross affords me cooling shade
When noonday’s sun is glowing.
When by my grief I am oppressed,
On Thee my weary soul shall rest
Serenely as on pillows.
Thou art my Anchor when by woe
My bark is driven to and fro
On trouble’s surging billows.

And when Thy glory I shall see
And taste Thy kingdom’s pleasure,
Thy blood my royal robe shall be,
My joy beyond all measure.
When I appear before Thy throne,
Thy righteousness shall be my crown—
With these I need not hide me.
And there, in garments richly wrought
As Thine own bride, I shall be brought
To stand in joy beside Thee.



441 Jesus, grant that balm and healing
In Thy holy wounds I find,
Every hour that I am feeling,
Pains of body and of mind.
Should some evil thought within
Tempt my treacherous heart to sin,
Show the peril, and from sinning
Keep me ere its first beginning. 
Every wound that pains or grieves me,
By Thy stripes, Lord, is made whole;
When I’m faint, Thy cross revives me,
Granting new life to my soul.
Yea, Thy comfort renders sweet
Every bitter cup I meet;
For Thy all atoning passion
Has procured my soul’s salvation.
O my God, my rock and tower,
Grant that in Thy death I trust,
Knowing death has lost his power
Since Thou trodd’st him in the dust.
Savior, let Thine agony
Ever help and comfort me;
When I die, be my protection,
Light and life and resurrection.


452 O dearest Jesus, what law hast Thou broken
That such sharp sentence should on Thee be spoken?
Of what great crime hast Thou to make confession—
What dark transgression?
They crown Thy head with thorns, they smite, they scourge Thee;
With cruel mockings to the cross they urge Thee;
They give Thee gall to drink, they still decry Thee;
They crucify Thee.
Whence come these sorrows, whence this mortal anguish?
It is my sins for which Thou, Lord, must languish;
Yea, all the wrath, the woe, Thou dost inherit,
This I do merit.


What punishment so strange is suffered yonder!
The Shepherd dies for sheep that loved to wander;
The Master pays the debt His servants owe Him,
Who would not know Him.
O wondrous love, whose depth no heart hath sounded,
That brought Thee here, by foes and thieves surrounded!
All worldly pleasures, heedless, I was trying
While Thou wert dying.
O mighty King, no time can dim Thy glory!
How shall I spread abroad Thy wondrous story?
How shall I find some worthy gifts to proffer?
What dare I offer?
Whate’er of earthly good this life may grant me,
I’ll risk for Thee; no shame, no cross, shall daunt me;
I shall not fear what man can do to harm me
Nor death alarm me.
And when, dear Lord, before Thy throne in Heaven
To me the crown of joy at last is given,
Where sweetest hymns Thy saints forever raise Thee,
I, too, shall praise Thee.


456 Faithful cross, thou sign of triumph,
Now for us the noblest tree,
None in foliage, none in blossom,
None in fruit thy peer may be;
Symbol of the world’s redemption,
For the weight that hung on thee!
Sing, my tongue, the glorious battle,
Sing the ending of the fray;
Now above the cross, the trophy,
Sound the loud triumphant lay:
Tell how Christ the world’s Redeemer,
As a victim won the day.
He, our maker, deeply grieving
That the first made Adam fell,
When he ate the fruit forbidden
Whose reward was death and hell,
Marked e’en then this tree the ruin
Of the first tree to dispel.
There the nails and spears He suffers,
Vinegar, and gall, and reed;
From His sacred body piercèd
Blood and water both proceed;
Precious flood, which all creation
From the stain of sin hath freed.
Cross of Christ! O, thou wast worthy
This world’s ransom to sustain,
That a shipwrecked race forever
Might a port of refuge gain,
With the sacred blood anointed
Of the Lamb of sinners slain.

467 Christ Jesus lay in death’s strong bands,
For our offenses given;
But now at God’s right hand He stands,
And brings us life from Heaven.
Wherefore let us joyful be,
And sing to God right thankfully
Loud songs of Alleluia! Alleluia!


It was a strange and dreadful strife
When life and death contended;
The victory remained with life;
The reign of death was ended.
Stripped of power, no more it reigns,
An empty form alone remains
Death’s sting is lost forever! Alleluia!

Here the true Paschal Lamb we see,
Whom God so freely gave us;
He died on the accursed tree—
So strong His love!—to save us.
See, His blood doth mark our door;
Faith points to it, Death passes over,
And Satan cannot harm us. Alleluia!

So let us keep the festival
Where to the Lord invites us;
Christ is Himself the joy of all,
The Sun that warms and lights us.
By His grace He doth impart
Eternal sunshine to the heart;
The night of sin is ended! Alleluia!


470 Come, you faithful, raise the strain     
Of triumphant gladness!                                   
God has brought His Israel                                  
Into joy from sadness.                                    
Loosed from Pharoah's bitter yoke               
Jacob's sons and daughters,                                
Led them with unmoistened foot                       
Through the Red Sea waters.

'Tis the spring of souls today:                        
Christ hath burst His prison,                               
And from three days' sleep in death                      
As a sun has risen;                                              
All the winter of our sins,                                  
Long and dark, is flying                                      
From His light, to whom is giv'n                              
Laud and praise undying.

Now the queen of seasons, bright                  
With the day of splendor,                               
With the royal feast of feasts,                         
Comes its joy to render;                                
Comes to gladden faithful hearts                       
Which with true affection                         
Welcomes in unwearied strains                         
Jesus' resurrection!

Neither could the gates of death                    
Nor the tomb's dark portal                                 
Nor the watchers nor the seal                        
Hold Him as a mortal.                                        
For today among His own                              
Christ appeared, bestowing                               
His deep peace, which evermore                     
Passes human knowing.


477 A mighty fortress is our God, 
a trusty shield and weapon;
He helps us free from every need 
that hath us now overtaken.
The old evil foe 
now means deadly woe; 
deep guile and great might
Are his dread arms in fight; 
on Earth is not his equal.


With might of ours can naught be done, 
soon were our loss effected;
But for us fights the Valiant One, 

whom God Himself elected.
Ask ye, who is this? 

Jesus Christ it is.
Of Sabbath Lord, 

and there’s none other God;
He holds the field forever.

Though devils all the world should fill, 

all eager to devour us.
We tremble not, we fear no ill, 

they shall not overpower us.
This world’s prince may still scowl fierce as he will,
He can harm us none, 

he’s judged; the deed is done;
One little word can fell him.

The Word they still shall let remain 
nor any thanks have for it;
He’s by our side upon the plain 

with His good gifts and Spirit.
And take they our life, 

goods, fame, child and wife,
Let these all be gone, 

they yet have nothing won;
The Kingdom ours remaineth.


478 Stanzas 1-6, 8                                   
How lovely shines the Morning Star!
The nations see and hail afar
The light in Judah shining.
Thou David’s Son of Jacob’s race,
My Bridegroom and my King of Grace,
For Thee my heart is pining.
Lowly, holy, great and glorious,
Thou victorious Prince of graces,
Filling all the heav’nly places.
O highest joy by mortals won,
True Son of God and Mary’s Son,
Thou highborn King of ages!
Thou art my heart’s most beauteous Flower,
And Thy blest Gospel’s saving power
My raptured soul engages.
Thou mine, I Thine; sing hosanna!
Heav’nly manna tasting, eating,
Whilst Thy love in songs repeating.
Now richly to my waiting heart,
O Thou, my God, deign to impart
The grace of love undying.
In Thy blest body let me be,
E’en as the branch is in the tree,
Thy life my life supplying.
Sighing, crying, for the savor
Of Thy favor; resting never
Till I rest in Thee forever.
A pledge of peace from God I see
When Thy pure eyes are turned to me
To show me Thy good pleasure.
Jesus, Thy Spirit and Thy Word,
Thy body and Thy blood afford
My soul its dearest treasure.
Keep me kindly in Thy favor,
O my Savior! Thou wilt cheer me;
Thy Word calls me to draw near Thee.
Thou, mighty Father, in Thy Son
Didst love me ere Thou hadst begun
This ancient world’s foundation.
Thy Son hath made a friend of me,
And when in spirit Him I see,
I joy in tribulation!
What bliss is this! He that liveth
To me giveth life forever;
Nothing me from Him can sever.
Lift up the voice and strike the string,
Let all glad sounds of music ring
In God’s high praises blended.
Christ will be with me all the way,
Today, tomorrow, every day,
Till traveling days be ended.
Sing out, ring out, triumph glorious,
O victorious, chosen nation;
Praise the God of your salvation.
Oh, joy to know that Thou, my Friend,
Art Lord, Beginning without end,
The First and Last, eternal!
And Thou at length—O glorious grace!—
Wilt take me to that holy place,
The home of joys supernal.
Amen, Amen! Come and meet me!
Quickly greet me! With deep yearning
Lord, I look for Thy returning.


486 God of the living, in Whose eyes
Unveiled Thy whole creation lies,
All souls are Thine, we must not say
That those are dead who pass away;
From this our world of flesh set free,
We know them living unto Thee.



Released from earthly toil and strife,
With Thee is hidden still their life;
Thine are their thoughts, their works, their powers,
All Thine, and yet most truly ours;
For well we know, where’er they be,
Our dead are living unto Thee.


487 O Lord of life, where’er they be,
Safe in Thine own eternity,
Our dead are living unto Thee:

All souls are Thine, and here or there
They rest within Thy sheltering care;
One providence alike they share:

Thy Word is true, Thy ways are just;
Above the requiem, “Dust to dust,”
Shall rise our psalm of grateful trust:

O happy they in God who rest,
No more by fear and doubt oppressed,
Living or dying, they are blest.


490 The King shall come when morning dawns,
And light triumphant breaks;
When beauty gilds the eastern hills,
And life to joy awakes.                                  

Not as of old a little child
To bear, and fight, and die,
But crowned with glory like the sun
That lights the morning sky.

O brighter than the rising morn
When He, victorious, rose,
And left the lonesome place of death,
Despite the rage of foes.                                   

O brighter than that glorious morn
Shall this fair morning be,
When Christ, our King, in beauty comes,
And we His face shall see.

The King shall come when morning dawns,
And earth’s dark night is past;
O haste the rising of that morn,
The day that aye shall last.                           

The King shall come when morning dawns,
And light and beauty brings:
Hail, Christ the Lord! Thy people pray,
Come quickly, King of kings.


493 The sun arises now, in light and glory
And gilds the rugged brow of mountains hoary.
Be glad, my soul, and lift thy voice in singing.
To God from earth below, thy heart with joy aglow
And praises ringing.
Like countless grains of sand, beyond all measure,
And wide as sea and land is Heaven’s treasure
Of grace which Christ, my Lord, each day bestoweth,
Which, like refreshing rain, into my soul again
Each morning floweth.
Keep Thou my soul today from sin and blindness;
Surround me on my way with loving-kindness
And fill my heart, O God, with joy from Heaven;
I then shall ask no more than what Thou hast of yore
In wisdom given.

495 The sun is rising in the east;
it gilds the heavens wide,
and scatters light on mountain crest,
on shore and countryside.

It rises from the valley bright,
Where paradise once lay,
and bright life and joy and light
to all upon its way.
And from the east God’s sun outpours
a heavenly light on earth,
a glimpse from Eden’s sacred shores,
where light and life had birth.

It greets us from that land afar,
Where man with grace was crowned,
and from that wondrous Morning Star
That eastern sages found.

The starry hosts bow down before
the sun that passes them;
it seems so like that star of yore,
which shone on Bethlehem.
Thou Sun of suns with saving might,                           
to Thee our songs will rise                                  
for every glimpse from heaven´s light                         
and from your paradise!

497 Now Christ, Thou Sun of righteousness,                                              
let dawn our darkened spirits bless:                 
the light of grace to us restore                       
while day to earth returns once more.
Thou who dost give the accepted time, 
give, too, a heart that mourns for crime,            
let those by mercy now be cured               
whom loving - kindness long endured.
Soon will that day, Thy day, appear                
and all things with its brightness cheer:            
we will rejoice in it, as we                          
return thereby to grace, and Thee.
Let all the world from shore to shore             
Thee, gracious Trinity, adore;                        
right soon Thy loving pardon grant,                
that we our new-made song may chant. Amen.

500 Creator of the earth and sky,
Ruling the firmament on high,
Clothing the day with robes of light,
Blessing with gracious sleep the night.
Thee let the secret heart acclaim,
Thee let our tuneful voices name,
Round Thee our chaste affections cling
Thee sober reason own as King.
Rest not, my heaven born mind and will;
Rest, all the thoughts and deeds of ill;
May faith its watch unwearied keep,
And cool the dreaming warmth of sleep.
Pray we the Father and the Son,
And Holy Ghost: O Three in One,
Blest Trinity, whom all obey,
Guard Thou Thy sheep by night and day.


537 From depths of woe I raise to Thee
The voice of lamentation;
Lord, turn a gracious ear to me
And hear my supplication;
If Thou iniquities dost mark,
Our secret sins and misdeeds dark,
O who shall stand before Thee?

To wash away the crimson stain,
Grace, grace alone availeth;
Our works, alas! are all in vain;
In much the best life faileth:
No man can glory in Thy sight,
All must alike confess Thy might,
And live alone by mercy.

Therefore my trust is in the Lord,
And not in mine own merit;
On Him my soul shall rest, His Word
Upholds my fainting spirit:
His promised mercy is my fort,
My comfort, and my sweet support;
I wait for it with patience.

What though I wait the livelong night,
And till the dawn appeareth,
My heart still trusteth in His might;
It doubteth not nor feareth:
Do thus, O ye of Israel’s seed,
Ye of the Spirit born indeed;
And wait till God appeareth.

Though great our sins and sore our woes,
His grace much more aboundeth;
His helping love no limit knows,
Our utmost need it soundeth.
Our Shepherd good and true is He,
Who will at last His Israel free.
From all their sin and sorrow.


540 When in the hour of utmost need
We know not where to look for aid,
When days and nights of anxious thought
Nor help nor counsel yet have brought.
Then this our comfort is alone,
That we may meet before Thy throne,
And cry, O faithful God, to Thee
For rescue from our misery.
For Thou hast promised graciously
To hear all those who cry to Thee
Thro’ Him whose name alone is great,
Our Savior and our advocate.
And thus we come, O God, today
And all our woes before Thee lay;
Be with us in our anguish still,
Free us at last from every ill.
That so with all our hearts we may
Once more our glad thanksgivings pay,
And walk obedient to Thy Word,
And now and ever praise the Lord.

550 In Thee, Lord, have I put my trust, 
Leave me not helpless in the dust,             
Let not my hope be brought to shame,        
But still sustain,                                       
Through want and pain,                              
My faith that Thou art aye the same.           
My God and Shield, now let Thy power          
Be unto me a mighty tower,                     
Whence I may freely, bravely, fight      
Against the foes                                              
That round me close,                                        
For fierce are they and great their might.
Thy word hath said, Thou art my Rock,           
The Stronghold that can fear no shock,             
My help, my safety, and my life,               
Howe'er distress                                                
And dangers press,                                        
What then shall daunt me in the strife?
With Thee, Lord, would I cast my lot;       
My God, my God, forsake me not,                    
O Faithful God, for I commend                         
My soul to Thee;                                         
Deliver me                                                     
Both now, and when this life must end.
551 6 out of 7 stanzas                               
From God shall naught divide me,
For He is true for aye
And on my path will guide me,
Who else should often stray.
His right hand holdeth me;
For me He truly careth,
My burdens ever beareth,
Wherever I may be.


When man’s help and affection
Shall unavailing prove,
God grants me His protection
And shows His power and love.
He helps in every need,
From sin and shame redeems me,
From chains and bonds reclaims me,
Yea, e’en from death I’m freed.

God shall be my Reliance
In sorrow’s darkest night;
Its dread I bid defiance
When He is at my right.
I unto Him commend
My body, soul, and spirit—
They are His own by merit—
All’s well then at the end.

Oh, praise Him, for He never
Forgets our daily need;
Oh, blest the hour whenever
To Him our thoughts can speed;
Yea, all the time we spend
Without Him is wasted,
Till we His joy have tasted,
The joy that hath no end.

Yea, when the world shall perish
With all its pride and power,
Whatever worldlings cherish
Shall vanish in that hour.
But though in death they make
The deepest grave our cover,
When there our sleep is over,
Our God will us awake.

What though I here must suffer
Distress and trials sore,
I merit ways still rougher;
And yet there is in store
For me eternal bliss,
Yea, pleasures without measure,
Since Christ is now my Treasure,
And shall be evermore.


552 Lord Jesus Christ,                            
my Savior blest,
My hope and my salvation!
I trust in Thee;                                                 

deliver me                                                      
from misery;
Thy Word’s my consolation.
As Thou dost will,                                         
lead Thou me still
That I may truly serve Thee,
My God, I pray,                                                  

teach me Thy way                                        
to my last day
In Thy true faith preserve me.
Now henceforth must                                     
I put my trust
In Thee, O dearest Savior.
Thy comfort choice,                                        

Thy Word and voice,                                          
my heart rejoice
Despite my ill behavior.
I have Thy Word,                                          
Christ Jesus, Lord;
Thou never wilt forsake me.
This will I plead                                                

in time of need.                                                 
Oh, help with speed
When troubles overtake me!
Grant, Lord, I pray,                                             
Thy grace each day
That I, Thy law revering,
May live with Thee                                           

and happy be                                             
eternally
Before Thy throne appearing.

553 If God himself be for me,                           
I may a host defy;                                         
For when I pray, before me                               
My foes, confounded, fly.                               
If Christ, my head and master,                            
Befriend me from above,                                     
What foe or what disaster                                
Can drive me from his love?

I build on this foundation,                                     
That Jesus and his blood                                    
Alone are my salvation,                                      
The true, eternal good.                                    
Without him all that pleases                                
Will vain and empty prove.                          
The gifts I have from Jesus                               
Alone are worth my love.

Christ Jesus is my splendor,                                 
My sun, my light, alone;                                    
Were he not my defender                                 
Before God’s awesome throne,                        
I never should find favor                                
And mercy in his sight                                     
But be destroyed forever                                     
As darkness by the light.

Though earth, Lord, break asunder,                         
You are my Savior true;                                      
No fire or sword or thunder                               
Shall sever me from you;                                      
No danger, thirst, or hunger,                                 
No pain or poverty,                                               
No mighty princes’ anger                                 
Shall ever vanquish me.

No angel and no gladness,                               
No high place, pomp, or show,                                 
No love, no hate, no badness,                             
No sadness, pain, or woe,                                       
No scheming, no contrivance,                                  
No subtle thing or great                                     
Shall draw me for our guidance                            
Nor from you separate.

For joy my heart is ringing,                                  
All sorrow disappears;                                     
And full of mirth and singing,                                 
It wipes away all tears.                                          
The sun that cheers my spirit                                
Is Jesus Christ, my king;                                     
The heaven I shall inherit                                 
Makes me rejoice and sing.


564 Lord, hear the voice of my complaint, 
To Thee I now commend me,                        
Let not my heart and hope grow faint,               
But deign Thy grace to send me;                      
True faith from Thee, my God, I seek,              
The faith that loves Thee solely,                       
Keeps me lowly,                                           
And prompt to aid the weak,                             
And mark each word that Thou dost speak.

Yet more from Thee I dare to claim,             
Whose goodness is unbounded;                     
Oh let me ne'er be put to shame,                        
My hope be ne'er confounded;                        
But e'en in death still find Thee true,                 
And in that hour, else lonely,                           
Trust Thee only,                                                
Not aught that I can do,                                         
For such false trust I sore should rue.

Oh grant that from my very heart                        
My foes be all forgiven,                                 
Forgive my sins and heal their smart,                
And grant new life from heaven;                        
Thy word, that blessed food, bestow,                 
Which best the soul canst nourish;                 
Make it flourish                                             
Through all the storms of woe                            
That else my faith might overthrow.     
                  
Then be the world my foe or friend,                   
Keep me to her a stranger,                                 
Thy steadfast soldier to the end,                     
Through pleasure and through danger;             
From Thee alone comes such high grace,      
No works of ours obtain it,                              
Or can gain it;                                                 
Our pride hath here no place,                             
'Tis Thy free promise we embrace.

Help me, for I am weak; I fight,                      
Yet scarce can battle longer;                             
I cling but to Thy grace and might,                      
'Tis Thou must make me stronger;                 
When sore temptations are my lot,                   
And tempests round me lower,                        
Break their power.                                            
So, through deliverance wrought,                            
I know that Thou forsak'st me not!

568 Thou, who breakest ev'ry chain,          
Thou who still art ever near,                           
Thou with whom disgrace and pain                      
Turn to joy and heav'n e'en here;                  
Let Thy further judgments fall                           
An the Adam strong within,                                    
Till Thy grace hath freed us all                            
From the prison-house of sin.

Lord, we do not ask for rest                          
For the flesh, we only pray                               
Thou would do as seems Thee best,                       
Ere yet comes our parting day;                        
But our spirit clings to Thee,                           
Will not, dare not, let Thee go,                  
Until Thou have set her free                          
From the bonds that cause her woe.

Ah how dearly were we bought                      
Not to serve the world or sin;                          
By the work that Thou hast wrought                  
Must Thou make us pure within,                     
Wholly pure and free,--in us                                
Be Thine image now restored:                                          
Fill'd from out Thy fulness thus                         
Grace for grace on us is pour'd.

Draw us to Thy cross, O Love,                        
Crucify with Thee whate'er                           
Cannot dwell with Thee above;                        
Lead us to those regions fair!                         
Courage! long the time may seem,                        
Yet His day is coming fast;                               
We shall be like them that dream                    
When our freedom dawns at last.


575 If you will only let God guide you,
And hope in Him through all your ways,
Whatever comes, He’ll stand beside you,
To bear you through the evil days;
Who trusts in God’s unchanging love
Builds on the Rock that cannot move.

What can these anxious cares avail thee
These never ceasing moans and sighs?
What can it help if thou bewail thee
O’er each dark moment as it flies?
Our cross and trials do but press
The heavier for our bitterness.

Be patient and await His leisure
In cheerful hope, with heart content
To take whatever thy Father’s pleasure
And His discerning love hath sent,
Nor doubt our inmost want are known
To Him who chose us for His own.

God knows full well when time of gladness
Shall be the needful thing for thee.
When He has tried thy soul with sadness
And from all guile has found thee free,
He comes to thee all unaware
And makes thee own His loving care.

Nor think amid the fiery trial
That God hath cast thee off unheard,
That he whose hopes meet no denial
Must surely be of God preferred.
Time passes and much change doth bring
And set a bound to everything.

All are alike before the Highest:
’Tis easy for our God, We know,
To raise thee up, though low thou liest,
To make the rich man poor and low.
True wonders still by Him are wrought
Who setteth up and brings to naught.

Sing, pray, and keep His ways unswerving,
Perform thy duties faithfully,
And trust His Word: though undeserving,
Thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never yet forsook in need
The soul that trusted Him indeed.


584 L: Send me, Lord. 
A: Send me, Lord, send me, Lord, send me, Lord, into the world.

L: Lead me, Lord. 
A: Lead me, Lord, lead me, Lord, lead me, Lord, into the world.

L: Teach me, Lord. 
A: Teach me, Lord, teach me, Lord, teach me, Lord, your holy word.


623 Despair not, O heart, in thy sorrow,      
But hope from God's promises borrow  
Beware in thy sorrow, of sinning                     
For death is of life the begining.

The body is shrouded in mourning;                       
The garlands, thecasket adorning,                     
Are emblems of hope that betoken,                
O Death, that thy power is broken.

A dearly belov'd one hath left us; 
God hath in His Wisdom bereft us; 
But He will not leave us forsaken,
We know that the dead shall awaken.

When dawneth the glorious morrow, 
This body that we view with sorrow, 
A glorified form shall be given, 
Restored to its spirit in heaven.

The seed that in springtime is planted, 
Is hid in the ground, but if granted 
A measure of sunshine and showers, 
Will spring into fruitage and flowers;

A gift to the churchyard we tender, 
As dust to the dust we surrender; 
Returning the clay to its Maker, 
We lay it to rest in God's acre.

A soul in that body abided, 
A soul that in Jesus confided, 
A soul that hath longed for salvation, 
And now hath found hope's consummation. 

O Christ, our soul's Maker and Lover; 
When time and earth's travail are over, 
Thou closest the grave's mournful story, 
And callest Thine own to Thy glory.


631 I know of a sleep in Jesus' name,          
A rest from all toil and sorrow;                      
Earth folds in her arms my weary frame             
And shelters it till the morrow;                      
My soul is at home with God in heaven,      
Her sorrows are past and over.

I know of a peaceful eventide;                          
And when I am faint and weary,                    
At times with the journey sorely tried, 
Through hours that are long and dreary,          
Then often I yearn to lay me down                    
And sink into blissful slumber.

I know of a morning bright and fair                 
When tidings of joy shall wake us,            
When songs of from on high shall fill the air 
And God to His glory take us,                    
When Jesus shall bid us rise from sleep, -- 
How joyous that hour of waking!

Oh, that is a morning dear to me,                      
And oft, o'er the mountains streaming,                
In spirit its heavenly light I see                           
As golden the peaks are beaming.                      
Then sing I for joy like birds at dawn               
That carol in lofty lindens.

God's Son to our graves then takes His way, 
His voice hear all tribes and nations;            
The portals are rent that guard our clay,     
And moved are the sea's foundations.                 
He calls out aloud: "Ye dead, come forth!"            
In glory we rise to meet Him.

O Jesus, draw near my dying bed                       
And take me into Thy keeping                              
And say when my spirit hence is fled,                 
"This child is not dead, but sleeping."                  
And leave me not, Savior, till I rise                
To praise Thee in life eternal.


632 Wake, awake, for night is flying;
The watchmen on the heights are crying:
Awake, Jerusalem, at last!
Midnight hears the welcome voices
And at the thrilling cry rejoices;
Come forth, ye virgins, night is past;
The Bridegroom comes, awake;
Your lamps with gladness take;
Alleluia! 

And for His marriage feast prepare
For ye must go and meet Him there.


Zion hears the watchmen singing,
And all her heart with joy is springing;
She wakes, she rises from her gloom;
For her Lord comes down all glorious,
The strong in grace, in truth victorious.
Her Star is risen, her Light is come.
Ah come, Thou blessèd One, 

God’s own belovèd Son:
Alleluia! 

We follow till the halls we see
Where Thou hast bid us sup with Thee.

Now let all the heavens adore Thee,
And saints and angels sing before Thee,
With harp and cymbal’s clearest tone;
Of one pearl each shining portal,
Where we are with the choir immortal
Of angels round Thy dazzling throne;
Nor eye hath seen, nor ear 

hath yet attained to hear
What there is ours, 

but we rejoice and sing to Thee
Our hymn of joy eternally.


636 There is a land of pure delight,
Where saints immortal reign,
Infinite day excludes the night,
And pleasures banish pain.

There everlasting spring abides,
And never withering flowers:
Death, like a narrow sea, divides
This heav’nly land from ours.

Sweet fields beyond the swelling flood
Stand dressed in living green:
So to the Jews old Canaan stood,
While Jordan rolled between.

But timorous mortals start and shrink
To cross this narrow sea;
And linger, shivering on the brink,
And fear to launch away.

O could we make our doubts remove,
Those gloomy thoughts that rise,
And see the Canaan that we love
With unbeclouded eyes!

Could we but climb where Moses stood,
And view the landscape o’er,
Not Jordan’s stream, nor death’s cold flood,
Should fright us from the shore.


640  Blessed city, heavenly Salem,            
Vision dear of peace and love,                         
Who of living stones upbuilded                         
Art the joy of heaven above,                               
And, with angel cohorts circled,                          
As a bride to earth dost move!                   

From celestial realms descending,                   
Bridal glory round her shed,                             
Meet for Him whose love espoused her,               
To her Lord shall she be led;                         
All her streets and all her bulwarks                        
Of pure gold are fashionèd.

Bright with pearls her portal glitters,                  
It is open evermore;                                           
And by virtue of His merits                               
Thither faithful souls may soar,                       
Who, for Christ's dear Name,                               
in this world Pain and tribulation bore.  
                    
Many a blow and biting sculpture                   
Polished well those stones elect,                            
In their places now compacted                       
By the heavenly Architect,                         
Who therewith hath willed for ever                    
That His palace should be decked.

Laud and honor to the Father,                           
Laud and honor to the Son,                              
Laud and honor to the Spirit,                             
Ever Three, and ever One,                             
Consubstantial, Co-eternal,                             
While unending ages run.

Inga kommentarer: